Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Trying Something New

Our 6 year old - Nia - is an avid thumb-sucker. She cry's when she thinks about quitting. She knows she has to quit but hates the idea. The kids at school make fun of her and she is scared that when she moves and starts making new friends, that no one will want to be friends with her because she sucks her thumb.

We are always after her about quitting and came up with a new plan. If she doesn't suck her thumb for 14 days straight, she gets to go anywhere she wants (at this point, it's chucke-cheese). But for her age she needs to have something to look forward to every day - working up to that 2 weeks. So... for each day she doesn't suck her thumb, she gets a dollar. It seems like we are spoiling her and we probably are however, I am willing to do just about anything to get her to quit. I drives me and Romeo nuts.

She has been successful today! It truly is hard to quit something you have done for 6 years. I feel for her. She is really trying this time and we are hoping it REALLY works.

Then, after Nia, we tackle #2 - Ian. I am going to do everything in my power to keep the new baby from sucking its thumb.

UPDATE!
2-4 - Great job Nia
2-5 - Oops, messed up!
2-6 - so far so good! Nope, messed up again
2-7 - okay, she isn't trying anymore! I took her $1 away! : <

No comments: